Aloe Vera for Cancer Treatment
Aloe Vera a succulent plant is popular for its medicinal properties. Gel contained in the leaves of the plant is a rich source of about twenty minerals, 12 vitamins, 18 amino acids, numerous phytonutrients, enzymes, triterpenes, polysaccharides, anthraquinones, glyconutrients and dihydrocoumarins. All these compounds provide various pharmacological benefits and improve the overall health. This healing herb is also found valuable in treatment of cancer especially for patients who fail to respond to chemotherapy.
How Aloe Vera aids in cancer treatment?
- Stimulates the immune system: Polysaccharides contained in Aloe Vera possess strong ability to modulate the functioning of the immune system and regulate the growth of tumors. The polysaccharides activate the macrophages of immune system and aid in engulfing the tumor cells. They also promote production of nitric oxide that serves as a potent antitumor agent.
- Shrinks the tumors: Acemannan, a phytonutrient present in aloe vera supports radiation therapy used for cancer treatment. It causes the tumors to shrink as well as improve the ability of the body to resist radiation therapy reducing the risk for post treatment complications.
- Treats radiation burns: Radiation therapy causes damage to the skin. Topical application of Aloe Vera gel to the area exposed to radiations will cause the wound to heal faster. Aloe Vera juice taken orally also aids in healing radiation burns.
- Suppresses the growth of tumor cells: Lectins and emodines present in the Aloe gel check the growth of the tumor cells. They also exert soothing effect on skin cells offering relief to patients suffering with skin cancer.
- Prevents spread of cancer cells to healthy cells: Acemannan of aloe Vera stimulates the production of immune cells namely T-cells and the lymphocytes that aid in engulfing the cancerous cells. This in turn prevents spread of the disease to healthy cells.
- Helps cope up with stress: Majority of the cancer patients are subject to extreme stress due to treatment as well as the pain of the disease. The anti-inflammatory action of the gel indirectly aids in coping with stress.
- Kills cancer inducing viruses: The human papilloma virus responsible for cervical cancer in women can be killed with the help of proteins contained in Aloe Vera.
In addition to supporting the cancer treatment, antioxidants present in it also aid in preventing formation of new cancerous cells.
How to use Aloe Vera for cancer treatment
The gel extracted from the leaves can be used directly. If you do not have access to the fresh gel then several aloe Vera products available in the market can be used. Aloe Vera gel, capsules, creams and drinks available in the market can be used in cancer treatment. However, purchase only those products that are chemically tested and scientifically proven safe to use. Never supplement Aloe Vera for regular cancer treatment.
Combining Aloe Vera with other herbs such as Cat’s claw, spirulina and oxygen therapy is found valuable in cancer treatment. Few patients develop serious side effects such as hepatitis after using Aloe vera. Hence, consult the oncologist before using Aloe Vera for cancer treatment to know if it is right to you and the exact dosage.